Last updated: May 29, 2020
In collaboration with our members, Wellforce is closely following the spread of COVID-19. In these unprecedented times, the safety and well-being of our patients, communities, employees and physicians is our greatest priority.
The Massachusetts economy will be re opening following a four phased approach. View the Commonwealth's reopening website
PSA video series: Tufts MC led the effort to produce a series of PSAs featuring all six academic medical centers in Boston to urge residents to go to the hospital when they experience a life-threatening emergency such as a heart attack or stroke.
Supporting our Physician Community
Wellforce remains focused on supporting our physician community through the COVID-19 pandemic. Teams from across the system are working to provide clinical, operational and economic support to help physicians weather the economic impact of COVID-19.
Q&A Sessions for our Physician Community: Economic sustainability strategies
- Tuesday, June 2 – 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 10 – 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Overview of Loans, Advances and Grant Programs
It can be difficult to navigate and understand the resources available to you. View the high-level overview
of the loans, advances and grants that are available.
View Past Events On Demand
Tips for Telehealth Success
Panelists: Drs. Davis Bu (Adult PCP), Sheila Morehouse (Pediatric PCP) and Bindiya Thakkar (Endocrinologist)
Learn about effective ways to conduct telehealth visits. Panelists share tips about how to present your best self, effectively screen and diagnose conditions and streamline workflows for this new way to “see” patients.
Private Practice Recession Survival Guide
Presented by: Nate Gagne, NEQCA Chief Financial Officer
Joining Amwell Medical Group
Presented by: American Well
Insights into the CARES Act – Employer and Employment Considerations
Presented by: Nixon Peabody
Disclaimer: Information provided in these presentation is for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as professional advice. The information contained in these presentation was timely as of the initial date of publication and Wellforce or the members of Wellforce have no duty to update this information. You are encouraged to consult with their own financial and legal advisors for specific advice about your situation.
In the News – Features from our Members
- Local media outlets, including NBC 10 Boston, WBZ-TV, and the Melrose Patch have embraced MelroseWakefield Hospital's CodeHappy moments.
- The coronavirus pandemic response has required flexibility and teamwork from health care workers, as well as a willingness to go outside personal comfort zones. Read about Tufts MC’s Dr. Sajani Shah “new role” in this pandemic.
- With the no-visitor policy during the Coronavirus pandemic, Jeanna Barbieri, an emergency room nurse at Lowell General Hospital prints family photos for patients’ bedsides.
- The alternate care site located at the UMass Lowell Recreation Center and operated by Lowell General Hospital, officially opened on Monday.
- Lowell General Hospital’s Julie Tammaro, MD, developed an intubation box to help provide protection for healthcare workers and was featured on WCVB Channel 5.
- MelroseWakefield Healthcare Chief Medical Officer Steven Sbardella, MD spoke with WBUR's All Things Considered about the challenges facing community hospitals during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Guidelines from the Commonwealth’s Crisis Standards of Care Committee co-chaired by Dr. Michael Wagner were released to the public last week, providing critical support to our caregivers should we ever reach the last resort of rationing care. See WBUR’s story quoting Dr. Wagner.
- Tufts Medical Center President and CEO Mike Apkon contributed to an op-ed showcased on the PBS website with Tufts University President Dr. Anthony Monaco and several mayors titled How colleges, hospitals and cities can work together to save lives.
- Bianca Dintino, a nurse in Tufts Medical Center’s Coronavirus intensive care unit was featured in the Boston Globe for volunteering to treat Coronavirus patients. Listen to her story.
- Our system is expanding our capacity to care for critically ill patients and keep our caregivers safe. View this WCVB feature on our efforts.
Moments of Gratitude from Across the System
- More than 30 Boston police, fire and EMS vehicles paraded down Washington Street, past Tufts Medical Center to show their support. Watch this one-minute tribute.
- The community showed their support for Lowell General Hospital with an impromptu “thank you” parade at their main campus.
- MelroseWakefield Healthcare CEO Sue Sandberg shared her appreciation for all employees, their families and the community, as well as messages of assurance in a new video.
Number of COVID-19 Cases
As of April 14, the Wellforce system is reporting the following:
|83 Positive Inpatient
20 Patients Under Investigation (PUIs)
994 Discharges (cumulative)
*includes data from Circle Health (Lowell General Hospital), MelroseWakefield Healthcare and Tufts Medical Center
Connecting you to our Members
View our member’s dedicated COVID-19 pages for the latest updates and information.
- Lowell General Hospital
- Lowell General PHO
Tufts Medical Center
Home Health Foundation
New England Quality Care Alliance
Wellbeing for All and Employee Resources
General Information on COVID-19